A fine blend of all things Nuts: Multimedia Collections, Toys, Foods, Concerts, Occasional Petting Zoo Visits, etc.

Saturday, March 11, 2023

Nicky Bigs Novelties Sledge Hammer ()


Several years ago, I decided to reduce my collection as much as I feasibly could. It took an agonizingly long time to rid myself of my toku toys, but it was distressingly easy to hand off most of my Silent Hill arsenal to a friend. The further I’ve been striding out of the quicksand-esque quagmire and malignant miasma that is tokusatsu, however, the more my simply relocated wrecking bar has been calling out to me to place it back on the rack—to completely refill my repository.

The magnificence of my new Buster Sword has certainly played a role, as well.

How ironic that my collection is now all prop weaponry, given how I ended up feeling about Sentai and Rider role-play toys.

No one can see past a decision they don’t understand~

_____________________________

In having (and having had) painted foam weaponry, for a number of years, at this point, I can happily report that they hold up much better than I originally assumed they would. If you handle them with care and gently dust them, you should be fine for a decently long time. That having been learned, what kind of weapon would be appropriate for a protagonist whose implements break rather easily?

Turns out the answer is hollow plastic. The head is a mite horizontally loose, but you have to deliberately torque it, or swing it violently, to notice. Normal handling and display would never give that away. It comes in two pieces, but there are a multitude of raised plastic mounds within the overlap that resemble tiny ramps, arranged in successive stages. I.e., the connection is absurdly good and I do not recommend trying to ever take it back apart. My previous hammer had the grandeur of its paint to thank for it appearing bigger than it was. This one looks decently long, because…it’s decently long…

For a costume party or display, I can certainly recommend this.

Hitting someone will assuredly harm it, instead of them, though. Since being replaced, I've been using this to inflict some pain on inanimate objects, and I've tried it on myself, to boot. It can definitely sting, and it can survive some plastic curling due to impaction. DON'T HIT PEOPLE OR THINGS WITH IT. I'm kind of impressed at its durability, in spite of:

20…SAME YEAR UPDATE: I noticed that this thing is not straight. The bottom half is warped. I can rotate it and the head, but no dice. It has become an irksome entity, through and through.

I give no shits, because the universe has provided the perfect replacement~


3 More New Reviews To Look Forward To out of 5

No comments :