A fine blend of all things Nuts: Multimedia Collections, Toys, Foods, Concerts, Occasional Petting Zoo Visits, etc.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Gosei Headder Series — DX Tensou Gattai Gosei Great (2010)


Gosei Great may use just about the most default combination scheme in existence, but it is the pinnacle of it. It has tiny little perfect touches that make me squee my head off, even now. Gosei Tiger is a straight-up Beast King Go-Lion homage. Gosei Snake sways gracefully when not locked up tight. The natural curves afforded the shark are INSANE. It’s beautiful, and the symmetrical gold accents that suddenly appear when it’s time to gattai? Brilliant. I don’t care that the cockpit is obscured completely on Gosei Phoenix; it’s still one of my favorite mecha ever. You have to catch it in the right mix of light and shadow, but the entirety of it has a sparkly near-purple sheen to it. The placement of Dragon's wings is a bit odd, when I take a moment to think about it, but in execution it works so super well. Besides, they get used in all three positions as the combinations progress.

It represents the simple, brass-tacks philosophy of Super Sentai, and I very seriously lament that very few people seemed to enjoy the only recent Sentai series that was designed from the ground up as a true team effort.

5 Colored Powers Releasing The Light That Will Smash the Darkness out of 5
Gosei Great's Victory Charge card is included.

The Eastern releases are identical. You aren't going to get screen-accurate cards no matter what, and you can print barcodes for the Japanese Tensouder, so I say go Korean. The BoA version has always appeared rickety in the videos I've seen. The wings of Gosei Dragon can fold back in addition to up and down on that one, and for the sake of shelf space, I guess that's a plus? It's not screen-accurate, at the very least.

I've heard mention of a chrome version, but I've never seen it myself.

No comments :